Thursday

From the Kitchen

Fall is apple time in our house. When we lived in Humboldt Iowa, we had two apple trees. I found out through the local county extension that they were Courtland trees. They produced apples each year, but every other year was a bumper crop. I would dehydrate them, freeze them, bake them and of course we ate lots of them! A few weeks ago I took a bag of Courtland apples from the orchard...

Photobucket

made some applesauce...

Photobucket

and a very simple but delicious apple crisp.

Photobucket

For applesauce I just peel and core the apples and cook up the chunks in a little water. I like to leave the applesauce chunky. I add sugar to taste, which usually doesn't take too much. I also add cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to taste. I have my grandmother's seive that I have used for applesauce in the past, which works great if you want a smooth version of applesauce. Speaking of my grandma, she used to add red hots to store bought applesauce and warm it on the stove until the red hots melted. Yum! Ed loves applesauce this way too.

Easy Delicious Applecrisp

1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup butter
6-8 apples
cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg to taste

Peel, core and slice apples. Mix spices to your taste with the apples. Layer in 9x13 pan.

Mix butter, sugar and flour together until coarse crumbles. You can add spices to this as well if you like. Spread crumble on top of apples. Bake at 400 for 20 min or until topping browned.

Enjoy warm, with or without vanilla ice cream.

6 comments:

Matt and Sonya November 5, 2009 at 9:33:00 PM EST  

Yes! As soon as I saw your apple crisp I thought..."I need to ask her for that recipe" And I scrolled down...and there it was! Thanks! And your son thanks you too!! :)

mmncgrand November 7, 2009 at 12:09:00 PM EST  

Yes! and she made some applesauce for us when she was here over her anniversary weekend and it was delicious. Thanks Deb!!

Ellen November 7, 2009 at 8:45:00 PM EST  

I don't see anything after Bake at what temp and how long? Michelle brought home a bag of apples, I picture them rotting in the bag if I don't do something soon :)

Deb November 8, 2009 at 6:16:00 AM EST  

Oops, sorry Ellen. I'll check the recipe when I get home from work tonight and let you know.

Ellen November 10, 2009 at 6:36:00 PM EST  

Great recipe, Deb! We all loved it:)
Thank you!!

RosebudWitt November 12, 2009 at 11:14:00 PM EST  

This was the first recipe you gave me as married woman! I remember I made it out in Boston all the time for Mark...thanks to you! We never had it growing up, and I love it! And of course Mark does too :)

Search This Blog

AroundIndy

Followers

Recent Visitors

My Blog List

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP