Saturday

Is it really the middle of July already?

I can't believe how fast the summer is flying by. Ed, the girls and I headed to Illinois last weekend for a little "getaway." On Friday we stopped in Covington, Indiana to visit the Portland Arch. It was listed in Nicole's book, "Off the Beaten Path, Indiana" described as "a stone arch that's so unique it's been declared both a National Natural Landmark and a state nature preserve." It was out in the middle of nowhere but was a nice little ramble through the woods.

the arch

We stayed overnight in Peoria and attended our niece's wedding on Saturday.

Photobucket

Congratulations Jessica and Kyle!

Photobucket

Our beautiful girls!!

my girls

We headed in to Chicago that evening and of course went out for pizza at our favorite pizza place, Lou Malnati's.

Sunday was such a beautiful day. We spent the afternoon at the Chicago Botanical Gardens. What a beautiful place!!

purple flower

Love this red poppy. They had some that looked like ladybugs.

red poppy

Walking across the bridge into the japanese section of the garden.

botanical garden

botanical garden 2

I don't know what this tree is called but I loved the flowers on it. I want one for our yard as soon as I figure out what it is.

pink tree

This little girl about 8 years old walked up to the pond and said, "Oh my lovely little lily pads." I just about laughed out loud, so cute.

lily pads

3 purple flowers

I've told Ed I would like a wooden portico built over the the back patio. I'm dreaming of this look shading us as we dine outside.

flowering arch

We headed to South Bend Sunday evening to spend some time with friends. Monday Carrie acted as the tour guide (Nicole's love of finding all the little unique places in the area that you live has rubbed off on Carrie.) Ed was being very patient as we stopped in little antique shops, etc. Then he spotted a sign that said Corvette Central and whipped the car right in the parking lot. It turned out to be parts shop, so he picked up a catalog for a co-worker.

corvettes

We also spotted this. Loved the orange color. I told Ed this is the color his project vehicle needs to be!

orange car

We spent a few hours at the beach. Another beautiful day.

beach

And of course one can't pass up ice cream. If one doesn't pass up ice cream they will begin to look like this...

Oinks

Back at home we found these ugly catepillars have found a home on one of our tomatoe plants. I don't think I'll be getting tomatoes off of this plant.

ugly green bug

My mother in law is coming to live with us, so we've been busy getting a bedroom ready for her in our living room and trying to give her a little privacy. She'll be here tomorrow night.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Off to bed. Another day of work tomorrow.

4 comments:

Matt and Sonya July 18, 2009 at 11:43:00 PM EDT  

It was so good to catch up on your lives. I was talking to Nicole today and had not realized you guys took a mini-vaca last weekend. Looked like fun! That pic of Nicole and Carrie at the ice cream store is hilarious! I love it.

Grandma Whitlach is going to love her "room". Nice job.

We miss you. Looking forward to Labor Day.

mmncgrand July 19, 2009 at 5:08:00 PM EDT  

What a cute nook for Alberta. I am praying all goes well with that venture. Loved all the flowers, etc. Thanks for the update in your lives. Mom

mmncgrand July 20, 2009 at 8:56:00 AM EDT  

I had to revisit your sight this morning to see those beautiful girls once again. I love the picture of Courtney too contemplating the beauty she is seeing. Love you all so much!! Mom

RosebudWitt July 22, 2009 at 12:14:00 PM EDT  

Love the pictures! And you did a great job on Grandma's room! Hopefully everyone is adjusting okay with the new arrangment. Good talking to you this week. Love you.

P.S. You'd be so proud...I finally got a headset!

Search This Blog

AroundIndy

Followers

Recent Visitors

My Blog List

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP