Friday

Baking Day

After spending way too much time at work this week between working on the floor and attending meetings, I'm ready to get some things baked for Thanksgiving. I'm not a big fan of some of the traditional treats at Thanksgiving, so I signed up to bring a few of my favorites. I had all the ingredients I needed to make these cookies, so I'm starting with them. I got this recipe from Uncle Kyle and we love them. I doubled the recipe forgetting that this recipe makes quite a few cookies with just a single recipe. As you can see, I have overrun the capacity of my mixer!

By the way, this mixer was my gift on my very first Mother's Day. That is almost 25 years ago. I keep thinking it is going to die, but so far it's still going strong.

One of my other favorite things to use in the kitchen is this antique nut chopper. I have tried several other styles, but always come back to this type. I was so thrilled to find this chopper at an antique store a few years ago. My previous one had fallen apart. My husband does not share my joy in finding this equipment.


So would you like the recipe? These cookies are moist and chewy with lots of goodies added in. Enjoy!

Uncle Kyle's Cookies


1 cup shortening, white sugar and brown sugar - cream together


2 eggs and 1 tsp. vanilla - add to creamed mixture and beat well


2 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp soda and 1 tsp baking pwd. - add to creamed mixture and beat well.


2 cups oatmeal, 2 cups coconut, 1 cup nuts and 1 cup raisins - mix in with a spoon.


Chill 1/2 hour before making into walnut size balls. Flatten and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. (I slightly under bake my cookies.)


I'm not a big fan of coconut, but I love these cookies. You can hardly tell that there is coconut in them.


P.S. With all the oatmeal, etc added to this recipe, there are usually some crumbs of the dough that are too dry to compact together to form a ball. I had the brilliant idea to just cook these crumbs and then use them as a topping for ice cream or with yogurt and fruit. It was a good experiment.

2 comments:

Matt and Sonya November 21, 2008 at 8:20:00 PM EST  

Yummy! Save some for us :) Can't wait to see you soon!!! Love you-Sonya

mmncgrand November 24, 2008 at 3:27:00 PM EST  

All these beautiful food pictures make me hungry for your goodies. I am going to have apecan bar even if it kills me. So anxious to see you. Mom

Search This Blog

AroundIndy

Followers

Recent Visitors

My Blog List

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP